I have found a new recipe that is a keeper! The original recipe can be found on allrecipes.com. Here’s the link.
I did make some modifications that turned out pretty good. Below is the recipe with my adjustments. It ended up being around 330 calories per serving and very filling! Enjoy!
- 2 green onions (scallions), finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tbls sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbls white sugar
- 1 lb steak fillet
- 8-12 cups chopped green leaf lettuce
- 1 diced baby cucumber
- 1 pt cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Cooked rice, still warm (1/2 cup per serving)
- Makes ~ 4 servings
- Start rice in steamer (or however you prefer to cook your rice).
- In large bowl, stir together the scallions/green onions, cilantro, mint, lime juice, fish sauce, chili sauce and sugar until combined and sugar dissolved. Put half of mixture in smaller bowl, cover and refrigerate – this will be the salad dressing. Leave the other half of the mixture in the larger bowl for marinating the steak.
- Slice steak into thin strips (about 2-3 inches long, approximately 1/4″ thick or less). Put sliced steak in large bowl, mix well, cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- In meantime, chop cucumber, slice tomatoes, and prepare lettuce. Prepare bowls with 2-3 cups lettuce, 5-6 sliced tomatoes (which would be 10-12 halves), and about 1/4 cup cucumber.
- Warm up wok (or large skillet). Pour steak and marinade in wok and cook over medium heat for several minutes, until steak is heated through but not overcooked (cook too long and it will be tough, dry and chewy; only approximately 3-5 minutes is needed since steak is already sliced).
- Put half cup rice over salad. Top with 2-3 ounces steak (~6-10 pieces). Pour reserved dressing over steak and rice (warning: a tbsp should be plenty – a little goes a long way!).
If you try this, let me know what you think!
Note: I used the following site to calculate calories: http://caloriecount.about.com